Jason J. Granskog received his Juris Doctorate degree from the University of California, Davis School of Law in 1997 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Hall). While at King Hall, Mr. Granskog participated in the Moot Court program as a second year student, and served on the Moot Court Honors Board during his third year. Together with two fellow King Hall students, Mr. Granskog was the Western U.S. Champion and a National Finalist in the 1997 American Bar Association Appellate Advocacy Competition. Mr. Granskog also served as the Editor-in-Chief of the King Hall Advocate, was a teaching assistant for Legal Writing, and was a member of the King Hall Legal Foundation. Mr. Granskog has been with Bowles & Verna since graduating from law school. He became a partner with the firm in 2007.
Mr. Granskog primarily practices in the area of real estate, where he has developed a particular expertise in the representation of real estate brokers and agents, having successfully defended and/or resolved more than 200 claims on behalf of real estate brokers over the past 10 years. Mr. Granskog also represents dozens of contractors, developers, commercial landlords and tenants, and property owners in all manner of disputes that stem from the ownership, use, and transfer of real estate, both in litigation and transactional matters. Mr. Granskog’s practice also includes general business litigation and related transactional work, including corporate ownership/governance disputes, contract disputes, and business torts.
Areas of Practice:
- Real Estate
- Business Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Construction and Development
- Business and Transactional Services
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Granskog presents training and educational seminars for real estate brokers and agents to assist in the reduction and resolution of claims against brokers and agents before they escalate to litigation. In recent years, Mr. Granskog has presented seminars to more than 1000 agents all over the greater Bay Area.
Within the last few years, Mr. Granskog has:
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a real estate broker accused of negligence, including an award for the full amount of attorney’s fees and costs incurred in the broker’s defense.
- Successfully negotiated the settlement of a real estate development/partnership dispute, followed by negotiating a favorable refinancing and ultimate sale of the property at issue for more than four million dollars.
- Obtained a full defense verdict in arbitration on behalf of a contractor accused of negligent construction and breach of contract.
- Successfully negotiated several purchases and mergers of real estate brokerage corporations.
- Resolved dozens of claims against real estate brokers and agents through favorable settlements amounting to a small fraction of claimed damages.
- Successfully resolved disputes between landlords and tenants regarding leases covering hundreds of thousands of square feet of office and industrial space.
Mr. Granskog was born and raised in Chico, California, and returns to visit family and friends as often as time permits. Mr. Granskog received bachelor’s degrees in Economics and Psychology from the University of California, Riverside, in 1993. Mr. Granskog was very active at U.C.R., and was a member of several organizations, including Psi Chi, the National Honor Society in Psychology, and the Phi Kappa Sigma Fraternity, where he served as Interfraternity Council Representative and Sergeant at Arms. Mr. Granskog also received numerous scholastic awards, including listing on the Dean’s Honor List, the Order of Omega Outstanding Scholarship Award, and the Phi Kappa Sigma Outstanding Scholarship Award. Most importantly, U.C.R. was where Mr. Granskog met his wife Alison, and together they are enjoying the challenges and rewards of raising their three children.