In Complex Litigation And Transactions
- Real Estate, Construction and Business Litigation 75%
- Corporate, Transactional and Intellectual Property Matters 25%
Jason J. Granskog received his Juris Doctorate degree from the University of California, Davis School of Law in 1997 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Hall). While at King Hall, Mr. Granskog participated in the Moot Court program as a second year student, and served on the Moot Court Honors Board during his third year. Together with two fellow King Hall students, Mr. Granskog was the Western U.S. Champion and a National Finalist in the 1997 American Bar Association Appellate Advocacy Competition. Mr. Granskog also served as the Editor-in-Chief of the King Hall Advocate, was a teaching assistant for Legal Writing, and was a member of the King Hall Legal Foundation. Mr. Granskog has been with Bowles & Verna since graduating from law school. He became a partner with the firm in 2007.
Mr. Granskog enjoys and interesting and varied practice. He has developed expertise in real estate law, particularly the representation of real estate brokers and agents, having successfully defended and/or resolved more than 200 claims on behalf of real estate brokers over the past 10 years. Mr. Granskog also represents dozens of contractors, developers, commercial landlords and tenants, and property owners in all manner of disputes that stem from the ownership, use, and transfer of real estate, both in litigation and transactional matters. Mr. Granskog’s practice also includes general business litigation and related transactional work, including corporate ownership/governance disputes, contract disputes, business torts and intellectual property matters.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Granskog presents training and educational seminars for real estate brokers and agents to assist in the reduction and resolution of claims against brokers and agents before they escalate to litigation. In recent years, Mr. Granskog has presented seminars to more than 2,000 agents all over the greater Bay Area.
Within the last few years, Mr. Granskog has:
- Successfully resolved dozens of lawsuits against real estate brokers and agents with cumulative damages claims well into eight figures.
- Represented the purchaser in the acquisition of a $35,000,000 North Bay hotel property, including resolving issues surrounding the restaurant lease, loan assignment, and franchise transfer.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a real estate broker accused of negligence, including an award for the full amount of attorney's fees and costs incurred in the broker's defense.
- Represented the seller in the sale of a $33,000,000 East Bay shopping center
- Obtained a defense judgment on behalf of a real estate broker followed by a monetary recovery in favor of the broker in settlement of a potential malicious prosecution action.
- Negotiated the sale of a client's ground lease interest in a shopping center for $8,300,000;
- Obtained a full defense verdict in arbitration on behalf of a contractor accused of negligent construction and breach of contract.
- Assisted a nationally recognized healthcare real estate developer with obtaining a $27,900,000 construction loan and finalizing entitlement and infrastructure issues with governmental agencies;
- Defended a commercial tenant against an unlawful detainer brought by a landlord, and obtained a $1,500,000 settlement for the tenant as a buy out of the tenant's lease rights.
- Represented and counseled a local nonprofit corporation during its $7,100,000 purchase of property with irreplaceable natural resource values
- Successfully negotiated the purchase of a medical office building and subsequent lease modifications on behalf of the purchaser.
- Resolved entitlement disputes between developers and obtained governmental approval of modifications to a master development agreement for a 1000+ unit residential development.
- Successfully negotiated the complex sale of the remaining assets of a formerly bankrupt restaurant chain.
- Successfully negotiated the settlement of a copyright and trademark infringement matter on behalf of the intellectual property owner.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar settlement of a legal malpractice claim on behalf of bankruptcy trustee.
- Successfully negotiated the settlement of a real estate development/partnership dispute, followed by negotiating a favorable refinancing and ultimate sale of the property at issue for more than $4,000,000.
- Obtained a verdict in arbitration on behalf on behalf of a prospective home purchaser against a developer for breach of contract resulting in a full refund of the client's deposit plus an award of arbitration fees and costs.
- Successfully negotiated several purchases and mergers of real estate brokerage corporations.
- Negotiated sales/purchases of millions of dollars of real estate.
- Successfully resolved disputes between landlords and tenants regarding leases covering hundreds of thousands of square feet of office and industrial space.
- Successfully resolved several construction contract disputes representing both contractors and property owners.
- University of California, Davis School of Law, Davis, California
- J.D. - 1997
- University of California, Riverside, California
- B.A. - 1993
- Major: Economics
- Major: Psychology
- California, 1997
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1998
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1998
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1998
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1998
- Contra Costa Bar Association, Member, 1997 to Present
- California Association of Realtors, Member, 2003 to Present
- Western U.S. Champion and a National Finalist in the 1997 American Bar Association Appellate Advocacy Competition
Classes & Seminars
- Risk Management for Real Estate Brokers, Bowles & Verna LLP, 2000 to Present
- Member, King Hall Legal Foundation
- Bowles & Verna LLP, Associate, 1997 to 2006
Fraternities or Sororities
- Phi Kappa Sigma