Auto Accidents Caused by Sudden Stops
By Michael Verna on August 11, 2018
When a vehicle makes a sudden stop on the road, it can catch other motorists by surprise. When something so unexpected happens on the road, drivers can react in the wrong way, making collisions much more likely. It’s for this reason that sudden stops are never recommended if they can be avoided.
The lawyers at Bowles & Verna have helped countless clients throughout Bay Area who have been injured in car accidents. Whether you’re in San Jose, CA or the East Bay, our lawyers can offer expert counsel to help with your case.
Causes of Sudden Stops on the Road
There are a few common causes of sudden stops on the road:
- Avoiding Debris or Objects - If there is debris on the road that suddenly falls or comes into view, the immediate reaction many have is to brake and avoid striking the object.
- Avoiding Collision with a Pedestrian or Animal - When a pedestrian, bicyclist, or animal darts across the road suddenly, it’s not uncommon for a driver to hit the brakes to avoid a collision.
- Avoiding an Accident Up Ahead - When a crash occurs down the road, braking suddenly to avoid getting into the accident is a common reaction.
- Preventing a Collision with Another Motorist - If another motorist runs a red light or drives recklessly, a driver may brake suddenly to avoid a collision as there are not other options to prevent an accident.
- Driver Distraction - With cellphones and other electronic devices, distraction is a more common danger today. If a driver is not paying attention to the road because they are distracted, they may brake suddenly once they return to full attention.
Risk of Rear End Collision
Rear end collisions are one of the biggest dangers from sudden stops. When motorists do not have sufficient time to or distance to brake, the likelihood of a crash goes up considerably.
Risk of Swerving Cars and Sideswipe Crashes
We mentioned how it’s common for motorists to try to avoid dangers ahead of them. Rather than braking when someone makes a sudden stop, a driver may swerve into an adjacent lane instead. This can result in sideswipe accidents and clipping other vehicles in adjacent lanes.
Loss of Vehicle Control
Just because you hit the brakes doesn’t mean you’ll come to a clean stop. Many times people who brake very suddenly wind up losing control of their vehicle. This can lea to swerves into other lanes as well as rollover accidents.
Issues with Multi-Car Collisions
With more vehicles involved in collisions, the greater the likelihood of serious injuries and even fatalities. This is especially true of multi-vehicle accidents on the highway. At high speeds and with multiple vehicles, the results can be catastrophic.
Holding Negligent Drivers Accountable
If your accident was caused by negligent drivers or reckless behaviors behind the wheel, our law firm can help you. We can determine if you should pursue a lawsuit against the negligent motorist, which can help collect damages that cover vehicle damage, medical expenses, lost wages, and so forth. We will put your needs and legal interests first.
Learn More About Your Legal Options
To learn more about car crash legal options and how to hold negligent motorists accountable, contact the injury accidents lawyers at our firm. We are here to help you in your time of legal need.