A Medical Malpractice Attorney Can Allow You to Focus on Recovery
The majority of doctors and healthcare providers are dedicated healers, providing services that greatly benefit their patients. In some unfortunate cases, negligent acts violate patient trust and caregivers actually cause grievous harm. Medical malpractice impacts thousands of people in the Bay area, and throughout the country. If you believe you or a loved one has suffered due to the careless act of a health provider, you may be eligible for economic compensation. A medical malpractice attorney at Bowles & Verna in Walnut Creek, CA, can provide effective legal representation for victims, seeking full compensation for caregiver negligence.
We offer in-depth experience, along with a commitment to pursuit of the best possible outcome for all our clients.
About Medical Malpractice
National statistics count hundreds of thousands of patients injured or killed each year because of errors occurring in hospitals and medical offices. There are many shocking, highly publicized stories - a surgical instrument left inside a patient’s body or the wrong body part amputated. We hear less about the more common occurrences, when a physician fails to properly treat a patient’s dangerous disease or a technician misreads test results.
The most common types of medical malpractice cases litigated in civil court include:
- Birth Injuries – Birth trauma can cause cerebral palsy or traumatic brain injury from oxygen deprivation. Malpractice can also occur during prenatal care or in the neonatal nursery.
- Pharmaceutical Errors – A patient’s medication can be mismanaged, causing catastrophic complications. Patients may be prescribed the wrong drug or the wrong dose, or a drug that reacts with medication being taken concurrently.
- Misdiagnosis/Failure to Diagnose – A doctor will sometimes overlook a patient’s symptoms or make a hasty diagnosis that is dangerously inaccurate. Or, a doctor diagnoses the disease but fails to treat it appropriately.
- Surgical Error – Mistakes in the operating room leave many patients with a serious injury or even result in wrongful death. Errors can be caused by the anesthesiologist, surgeon, or even a nurse.
- Nursing Home Malpractice – Residents of nursing care facilities are not always well treated. There are cases of abuse and neglect that cause physical and psychological injury or worse.
Legal Recourse for Patients and Families
When medical malpractice results in serious injury or death, the victim or victims can be compensated for losses. Depending upon the circumstances of the case, the insurance carrier may offer a settlement or a plaintiff can file a lawsuit in civil court. It is important to obtain the help of an experienced malpractice attorney who can help you prove liability and establish damages.
In California, victims can receive full compensation for economic damages, which include medical bills related to the malpractice incident, loss of wages, loss of future income, and expenses for ongoing care and medical equipment. The State places a $250,000 cap on non-economic damages such as pain and suffering and reduced quality of life.
At Bowles & Verna, we have assisted many victims of medical malpractice, securing maximum compensation under the law. We are a large, international firm staffed with seasoned trial attorneys. We offer in-depth experience, along with a commitment to pursue the best possible outcome for all our clients.
Unfortunately, we cannot take every potential malpractice case. But, if we see evidence of negligent wrongdoing causing demonstrative damages, we are prepared to fight hard for your right to full restitution.
Contact Our Office
Bowles & Verna offers a free consultation for medical malpractice victims. Please contact our office today to schedule an appointment.