In Complex Litigation And Transactions
Cathleen S. Huang
- Business & Commercial Litigation (International) 50%
- Products Liability 40%
Cathleen S. Huang is a partner at Bowles & Verna, LLP. Her areas of practice include international business litigation, products liability, and intellectual property litigation. She has represented manufacturers and businesses based in the U.S., Taiwan, China, Singapore, and Japan, from all industries, including computers, electronics, automotives, bicycles, food supplements, glass, power tools, and medical devices.
• Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of Kwang Yang Motor Company (KYMCO) after 3 week trial on a product liability case involving a ATV accident;
• Obtained a $3.5 million settlement on behalf of a U.S. national distributor of nutritional supplements against a Japanese public company in a breach of contract action;
• Obtained a $2.4 million settlement on behalf of a U.S. software company against a British public company in a breach of contract action;
• Successfully defended one of the largest glass manufacturers in the world in a $10 million breach of contract action;
• Obtained summary judgment in a product liability action alleging that a defective flammable gas cylinder caused severe burns. The court granted the defense motion to preclude Plaintiffs’ experts from testifying on the grounds the expert opinions were not scientific or reliable. The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the ruling;
• Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a national life insurance company against allegations of breach of contract and bad faith;
• Obtained summary adjudication on constitutional claims against a state governmental agency on behalf of an advertising company, which was affirmed by the Court of Appeals;
• Successful defense of a Taiwanese manufacturer of power supply against patent infringement claim and negotiated a lucrative license agreement on behalf of the same company;
• Successful defense of a Taiwanese manufacturer of bicycle forks against $10 million breach of contract claim;
• Successful defense of a U.S. manufacturer of torches against alleged violation of Proposition 65.
• April 13, 2006, Taipei International Sporting Goods Show (TaiSPO), Taipei, Taiwan. Topic: U.S. Product Liability Law and Consumer Product Safety Commission.
• May 10, 2006, National Hardware Show, Las Vegas, Nevada. Topic: IP, CPSC and Products Liability Issues for Foreign Manufacturers.
• May 21, 2007, A moderator at the first annual International Consumer Product Safety Symposium at Beijing, China, which was co-sponsored by the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) of the Peoples’ Republic of China and the International Consumer Product Safety and Health Organization.
• October 2007 Separate Presentations to the Neihu Business Association, Taipei, Taiwan; Taichung Industrial Park, Taichung, Taiwan. Topic: Effective Strategies for Preventing Lawsuits for Companies Selling Goods to the U.S.
• October 2008, Separate Presentations to TAITRA branches in Tainan and Kaohsiung, Taiwan and Chang An, China. Topic: Protecting Patent Rights in the US and Limiting Foreign Manufacture Exposure in the U.S.
• March 2009, Separate Presentations to TAITRA branches in Taipei and Kaohsiung, Taiwan. Topic: What You Need to Know about the 2008 CPSIA and Strategies for Preventing Lawsuits for Companies Selling Goods to the U.S.
• June 2, 2009, Sponsor Hangzhou Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau (CIQ). Hangzhou, China. Topic: Sino-US Trade Related Laws and Regulations.
• November 10, 2009, Taipei Bar Association. Taipei, Taiwan. Topic: Representing Product Manufactures and Exporters: What every Taiwanese Attorney Needs to Know About US Law.
- American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Walter A. Haas School of Business at University of California at Berkely, Berkeley, California
- B.S. - 1992
- Major: Corporate Finance and Marketing
- Virginia, 1998
- California, 2002
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2006
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2015
- Defense Research Institute
- International Consumer Product Health & Safety Organization
- Englebrick vs. Worthington Industries, Inc., 944 F. Supp. 2d 899, 2013, C.D. California
- Perez-Encinas vs. AmerUs Life Ins. Co., 468 F. Supp. 2d 1127, 2006, N.D. California
- Shalaby vs. Irwin Indus., 2009 U.S. Dist. Lexis 129812, S.D. California
- Venture (Singapore)
- Chicony Power Technology Co., Ltd. (Taiwan)
- Kwang Yang Motor Company (KYMCO) (Taiwan)
- Taiwan Glass (Taiwan)
Classes & Seminars
- International Product Safety Symposium (Beijing), ICPHSO, 2007
- U.S. Contract Law , Taipei Bar Association, 2009
- Valerian, Patterson, Strateman & Love, Trial Attorney, 2002 to 2004
- Mandarin Chinese