Even pricey “luxury” resorts don’t always protect their guests from deadly carbon monoxide poisoning. This summer, an American couple was killed by carbon monoxide that leaked into their room at a Hyatt-owned resort in Mexico. The leak was so toxic that first responders became ill and had to be hospitalized.
In the aftermath of this tragedy, current and former employees of the resort said there was a history of disconnecting carbon monoxide detectors because they kept going off – indicating leaks. A criminal investigation is ongoing.
Why is carbon monoxide poisoning too often fatal?
Other such deadly incidents have occurred at hotels and resorts as well as vacation rental properties. One of the reasons that carbon monoxide poisoning is often fatal is that the symptoms are relatively generic. They include dizziness, weakness, headache, nausea, vomiting and chest pain.
When people are on vacation, they can often assume this is due to too much sun or exertion or something they ate or drank. Since they’re away from home, they may be alone in their room with no one checking on them until it’s too late.
Furthermore, because carbon monoxide is odorless, people don’t notice it. That’s why carbon monoxide detectors are required in many properties. It can leak from furnaces, stoves, generators and pool heaters.
Many hotel rooms don’t have windows that open. Even if you’re in a room, suite or vacation property with a patio or balcony, you may keep the doors to those closed to keep air conditioning or heat in, depending on the climate and time of year. People are particularly vulnerable at night while they’re sleeping if there are no carbon monoxide detectors – or if they’ve been deactivated or aren’t working.
If you have been harmed by carbon monoxide poisoning or lost a loved one due to the negligence of a property owner, it’s important to get experienced legal guidance before agreeing to any kind of settlement. This can help you seek justice and fair compensation.